2012 Saab 9-3 Griffin Price, Review, Specs, what car reviews, The Saab 9-3s are sporty and dynamic cars featuring progressive Scandinavian design and a powerful turbocharged engine. Known for their leading turbo technology Saab hasn’t neglected safety, luxury, and style. New for 2012 the 9-3 has been renamed the 9-3 Griffin and is distinguished by new front bumpers and headlamps, and refreshed interior trim. The turbocharged engine has been revised and now gives 220-hp. Both the manual and automatic are now six-speed transmissions.
The 9-3 Griffin is available in three body styles; a four-door Sport Sedan, a two-door soft-top Convertible, and a four-door wagon called the SportCombi. All are powered by a revised for 2012, high-output, 220-hp, turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine available with a six-speed manual or automatic transmission.The Convertible features front-wheel drive while the Sport Sedan and SportCombi are available with either front-wheel drive or the XWD all-wheel drive system. The 9-3X SportCombi includes a higher ride height, roof rails and other features to make it more suitable for rougher roads. Standard safety features include front and side airbags as well as Saabs’ anti-whiplash Active Head Restraints. The Sport Sedan and SportCombi include side curtain airbags and the Convertible includes side airbag head extensions and rollover protection.
For 2012, the Saab 9-3 Griffin is mainly a carryover from 2011 with a restyled front bumper and refreshed interior trim.
For 2012, the Saab 9-3 Griffin will borrow a lot of the design elements from the 9-5 sedan. There are new “ice block” headlamps inspired by the Aero-X concept and a new grille with a more prominent, wing-shaped central bar carrying the SAAB wordmark. Also changing up the 9-3 will be re-profiled front bumpers featuring a deep, trapezoidal air intake finished with black, ribbed bars, or a mesh insert for Aero variants. The back of the compact car will get a trunk-mounted spoiler while the tires will be fitted with 16- or 17-inch wheels as standard. The Aero models will receive a matte chrome surround and new 17- and 18-inch wheel designs.
The interior has also been updated with the instrument panel, gearshift molding, doors, and glove box all getting a titanium metallic-effect trim. The Aero models will feature a graphite fiber-effect for all of these items, including the fascia and new leather sports seats with contrasting stitching, inspired by the Aero X concept car. The SE models, on the other hand, will get Leather appointed comfort seats.
The 2012 9-3 Griffin will be offered with a choice of TTiD engines that deliver 130, 160, or 180 HP, with the 180 HP version being the leader in its class in terms of low CO2 emissions and fuel consumption per unit of horsepower. This 180 HP variant makes the 9-3 Griffin the most powerful zero VED estate car available.
There are also two new, more efficient petrol engines offered in 163 HP and 220 HP variants. Both come with a fuel consumption improvement of 4% and both are available with front-wheel drive and XWD, Saab’s advanced all-wheel-drive system.
2012 Saab 9-3 Griffin Price :
MSRP: $28,900 – $46,080
2012 Saab 9-3 Griffin Specs :
• Engine: 2.0L in-linefour-cylinder DOHC with variable valve timing and four valves per cylinder
• E85 fuel
• Gasoline direct fuel injection
• 16.0gallon fuel tank
• Power (SAE): 220 hp @ 5,300 rpm; 258 ft lb of torque @ 2,500 rpm
• Body-color front and rear bumpers
• Day time running lights
• Driver and passenger and passenger power, heated ,body-color door mirrors
• Exterior dimensions: 183.9 in. overall length, 70.9 in. overall width, 57.1 in. overall height, 105.3 in. wheelbase, 60.0 in. front track, 59.3 in. rear track and 35.4 ft. curb-to-curb turning circle
• Front fog lights
• Headlight cleaners
• Halogen headlights with projector beam lenses
• Luxury trim: alloy & leather on shifter, titanium look on doors and titanium look on dashboard
• Black paint
• Rear window defroster
• Weights: published curb weight (lbs): 3,310
• Intermittent windshield wipers
• Cargo area and front 12V power outlet(s)
• Dual-zone fully-automatic climate control
• Element antenna
• Anti-theft protection
• Audio system with AM/FM radio, CD player (reads MP3 format) ; includes RDS , satellite radio
• Cargo area cover/rear parcel shelf
• Cargo capacity: 59.5 cu. ft. w/rear seat down and 25.4 cu. ft. all seats in place
• Trip computer: includes average speed, average fuel economy, current fuel economy and range for remaining fuel
• Cruise control
• Front cup holders
• Outside air temperature indicator
• Floor mats
• Brake assist system
• Cornering brake control
• Ventilated four-wheel disc brakes
• Electronic brake distribution
• Electronic traction control (via ABS & engine management)
• Space-saver spare tire with steel rim
• Electronic Stability Program (ESP) stability control
• Independent front strut suspension with stabilizer bar and coil springs, independent rear multi-link suspension with stabilizer bar and coil springs